From a young age, Melinda was actively involved in a family business in Ontario. Upon moving to British Columbia, she worked in different businesses until she decided to further her education and attend law school. She is now an experienced trial lawyer and works on matters including family law, personal injury, insurance, commercial, estate and real estate litigation.
Her personal injury clients are well-served by her undergraduate studies in bio-medicine at the University of Waterloo. This provides her with a clearer understanding of medical matters related to her clients’ personal injuries, which range from minor whiplash to severe injuries, including brain injuries, quadriplegia and wrongful death. Her medical knowledge empowers her to analyze medical reports and negotiate fair settlements for the benefit for her clients.
As a family law lawyer and a Collaborative Divorce lawyer, Melinda assists and guides her clients with cohabitation agreements, obtaining a divorce, separation agreements, and dealing with matters of guardianship, parenting, contact, and spousal and child support. She assists her clients to select the most desirable process, whether it be by way of collaborative family law, mediation or litigation, in order to obtain the most cost effective and least destructive solution for her family law clients.
Melinda has successfully appeared in court on numerous occasions and is always prepared to take a matter to trial for her clients. As a trained mediator, she has also had considerable success in negotiating good settlements on behalf of her clients.
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Called to the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Member, Canadian Bar Association of British Columbia
- Co-Chair of the Women Lawyer’s Forum of the Canadian Bar Association of British Columbia
- Member, Patients Relations Committee for the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists of British Columbia
- Member of the Discipline Committee for the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists of British Columbia
- Mentor with the Women Lawyer Forum with the CBA (BC)
Publications & Presentations
- Guest Instructor for the B.C. PLTC (Professional Legal Training Course)
- Past Guest Instructor for UBC Law Student Mock Trials
- Guest Speaker at the 2011 Ten Hot Hit Tips from Ten Hot Mentors event, put on by the CBABC WLF